Friday, May 21, 2010

If Austin had Cob Houses...

...I would totally buy one. Actually, I'd be happy to build my own if someone would work out all the zoning and permitting issues for me and supervise me.  

It could be like a "build your own pizza" restaurant for future homeowners. Some brilliant developer could buy a tract of land, divy it up to crazy green people like me who aren't afraid to get a little dirty, and just make sure we didn't screw anything up. (Hmmm, should I be telling you this, or looking for a venture capitalist?)

And cob houses would be ideal:
  • The materials are cheap - clay, sand and straw.
  • They are surprisingly durable.
  • They won't burn.
  • Bugs won't eat them.
  • It doesn't take a rocket scientist to "cob".
  • They were "green" long before Barbara Mandrell was country.
There are workshops that teach people everything from how to lay an earthen floor to working with earthbags or straw bale materials and everything in between.  I saw an 8-day class for $600 +/- where I'm pretty sure they cover it all. 

Yeah, I know they aren't for everyone.  I don't think that Austin, TX is going to become the Cob Capital of the World.  Most people aren't into building their own house and are going to keep the big spec builders in business for the forseeable future.  As for me, I'll be waiting on the day I can move into my cute cob cottage with a sweet little thatched roof.  I'll let you know when I'm done!

Shelley Rowton, REALTOR 
RE/MAX River City
(512) 507-5779

No comments: